Sneaky Mac & Cheese
Updated: Monday, May 6 2013, 06:36 PM EDT
*4 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese
*1 large red bell pepper, diced
*2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
*1 tbspn unsalted butter
*1 tspn honey
*1/8 tspn chipotle chile powder
*8 oz ziti or penne pasta
*5 cups small cauliflower florets, finely chopped
*3 tbspn chives, finely chopped
1. Shred the cheese on the large holes of a box grater and set aside.
2. Cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds. Cut into 1-inch pieces and put in a small saucepan with ½ cup water.
3. Cut the peeled garlic in half, lengthwise, and add to the saucepan.
4. Bring the saucepan’s contents to a boil, then lower the heat to medium, or until the peppers are very soft.
5. Transfer the contents of the saucepan, including the water, to a food processor or blender.
6. Add the butter, honey, chile powder, and salt to taste and process until very smooth
7. Return contents of food processor or blender to the saucepan.
8. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cauliflower and cook for 12 minutes, or until tender
9. Drain pasta and cauliflower well and shake dry. Transfer to a large bowl
10. Pour heated sauce over pasta
11. Add shredded cheese, stir well
12. Add salt to taste
13. Sprinkle with chives