Maryland State Fair
- Maryland State Fair Ends
- Real Life 'League of Their Own' Baseball Player Now Top Sheep Breeder
- MD State fair Best Baking Contest Gives Back
- 100K Lbs of Sand Turned Into Art at the Maryland State Fair
- Horse Shows at the Maryland State Fair
- New Attraction at the Maryland State Fair: Goat Mountain
- Popular American Tradition at the Maryland State Fair: The Art of Canning
- Big Name Acts Star at this Year's Maryland State Fair
- Maryland State Fair: A Time-Honored Tradition
- New Ride at the Maryland State Fair
- Maryland State Fair Dollar Night
- Ride Inspections Underway at the Maryland State Fair
- 132nd Maryland State Fair
100K Lbs of Sand Turned Into Art at the Maryland State Fair
Updated: Friday, August 23 2013, 02:30 PM EDT
A two-story work of art is currently under construction at the Maryland State Fair. The sculpture will be constructed entirely with sand.
Brad Goll is with Sandscapes, a company hired to build a massive sand sculpture sponsored partially by Toyota and the Baltimore Ravens. He and his team are working together to create the display – which he says takes about 27 man hours a day to shape the 100,000 lbs of sand.
In a remarkable twist, there are no plans for the design. Instead, Goll says the design is in his head.
The trick, the team says, to keep their 25-foot sculpture from crumbling like an ordinary beach castle is buying local sand, never sand with angles, and grains that lock together. When the sand dries, the work of art stays locked together because of the angles in the grains.
The sandscape is set to be completed by August 27th and weather will not be a factor as this sculpture is indoors.
Fore more information on the Maryland State Fair at the Timonium Fairgrounds visit: foxbaltimore.com/statefair