Maryland State Fair
- 133rd Maryland State Fair Wrapping Up
- Arm Wrestling Tournament Enters 7th Year at State Fair
- Clydesdales to Compete at Maryland State Fair
- Phil Vassar to Perform at Maryland State Fair
- Back to School Battle Important to Future of Maryland State Fair
- 4H Robotics Participants Prepare for State Fair Competition
- Maryland State Fair to Receive Award
- Public Transit to the Maryland State Fair
- Maryland State Fair: A Time-Honored Tradition
Back to School Battle Important to Future of Maryland State Fair
Updated: Thursday, August 21 2014, 08:35 PM EDT
Just as organizers with the Maryland State Fair were busy putting the final touches on the festivities, students, parents, teachers and school bus drivers were busing prepping to go back to the classroom.
Max Mosner is director of the fair and has often hoped school officials would reconsider the early start date.
“It would be meaningful to the economy, it would meaningful to tourism, and it certainly would be meaningful to us,” Mosner said.
This year Mosner served on a statewide task force created to study the potential for pushing back the school year until after Labor Day. Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot says it would be a big boost for businesses in Ocean City, and could generate more than $50 million in additional tourism revenue.
It remains to be seen whether pushing back the school calendar would actually boost attendance at the state fair, but students say they wouldn’t mind extending summer just a little bit.