Maryland State Fair
- Bull riding and cowgirl barrel racing returns to the Maryland State Fair
- Entertainment at the Maryland State Fair
- 'Ride Mania' at the Maryland State Fair
- Maryland State Fair: the rides
- Maryland State Fair: A time-honored tradition
- Ahead of big crowds, every ride is inspected at the Maryland State Fair
- Public Transit to the Maryland State Fair
Clydesdales to Compete at Maryland State Fair
Updated: Thursday, August 21 2014, 08:38 PM EDT
One of the things on show at this year’s Maryland State Fair are Clydesdale horses --- and these majestic animals are being raised right here in Maryland.
Tucked away in St. Mary’s County where the pavement turns to dirt and the sounds of traffic are drowned out by silence, sits Suttler Post Farm. For Danny Mast, a blue ribbon is at stake. He will be at the reigns, representing three generations of farmers at the Maryland State Fair.
This family farm has been growing and changing since the 1950s from hogs to tobacco, but all that changed in 2001 when the owner's daughter laid eyes on a Clydesdale named Dock.
Today, Wayne and his son Danny have 10 Clydesdales, each one with their own personality.