Champions of Courage Essay Competition
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in this contest, entrants must be Maryland residents who are students in grades 6 through 12 (ages 12 to 20) and reside in the WBFF/ WNUV/WUTB viewing area. To enter online, entrants must be 13 years of age or older.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc Sinclair Communications, LLC and any other company which owns, programs or provides other services to television broadcast station WBFF, WNUV and WUTB (collectively the Station), their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term immediate family includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
(a) No purchase is necessary to enter. Only one entry per individual.
(b) To summit an essay,
- If an entrant is 13 years of age or older, log onto www.FOXbaltimore.com
- Complete the official entry form and tell us in 90 words or less how your Champion of Courage demonstrates the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
- If an entrant is 12 years of age, log onto www.FOXbaltimore.com and download an official entry form
- Complete the official entry form and tell us in 90 words or less how your Champion of Courage demonstrates the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Mail the nomination with your name, address, phone number, and birth date, Champions of Courage, 2000 W. 41st Street, Baltimore, MD 21211.
Essays must following the guidelines listed below:
- Essays must salute a real person not a fictional character.
- Essays must be read aloud within twenty-five (25) seconds. As a guideline, the essay should be sixty-five (65) to ninety (90) words.
- Essays must be legible.
- The students name, home address, telephone number, school, grade, and teachers name must appear on the entry. This information is requested in order to contact the winners. It is not shared, sold, nor used in any other way.
- One entry per student.
- Essays will be judged by a committee that includes three (3) station personnel representing the public affairs department, two (2) retired English teachers from the local public school systems and three representatives of the sponsoring organization TBA and will be based on following criteria originality (20%), language art skills (30%), and execution of the competition theme (50%)
- Essays become the property of the Station
- The judges decision is final.
- All entries must be postmarked by Monday, December 8, 2014 or submitted on line by 8:00p.m. EST December 8, 2014.
No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted.
(c) The contest starts on Monday, October 20, 2014, and all entries must be received by Station by 8:00 p.m. EST on Monday, December 8, 2014. Station is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries/mail or for printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction.
(d) On or about December 11, 2014, twenty (20) winners will be selected by the judges based on the criteria set forth above, Winners essays will be read on-air between Saturday, January17, 2015 through Sunday, March 1, 2015.
(e) All entries received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc. and the Station and will not be acknowledged or returned including essays
1. Twenty (20) winners will be selected. Each winner will appear on WBFF FOX 45, WNUV The CW Baltimore, and WUTB MyTV Baltimore presenting their essay. Each winner and two guests will be invited to an awards program at a location to be determined. Each winner will be presented with a $100 check at the program. Value of each prize is $200
2. Winners will be notified through their classroom teacher, phone or email on or about December 11, 2014. Winners must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within 3 days of notification. If a winner is a minor, then the winners parents or guardian must sign a release and affidavit of eligibility before the winner receives his or her prize.
3. If a winner cannot be reached by phone to be notified, or does not timely sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility within five (5) days, then the prize will be forfeited, and an alternate winner with the next highest score will be determined by the judges in their sole and absolute discretion. Failure to collect the prize within the allotted time will constitute forfeiture of the prize. If forfeited, the prize will remain the property of Station. Another winner will not be selected.
4. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
5. The winners are responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
6. Sinclair Communications, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
7. Sinclair Communications, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
8. In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that Sinclair Communications, LLC, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
1. Complete contest rules are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at WBFF / WNUV, 2000 W. 41st Street, Baltimore, MD 21211 and on the Stations website at FOXBaltimore.com or CWBaltimore.com
2. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to WBFF / WNUV /WUTB, Champions of Courage, 2000 W. 41st Street, Baltimore, MD 21211 by February 10, 2015.
3. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., and Sinclair Communications, LLC accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
4. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
5. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.