- Baltimore's Art Donovan Laid to Rest
- Artie and the Goose
- Funeral for Art Donovan Set for Friday
- Former Teammate Tom Matte Remembers Artie
- Baltimore City Public Remembering Art Donovan
- Remembering Art Donovan
- Tribute to Art Donovan from FOX45's Candace Dold
- Steve Bisciotti's Statement on the Passing of Art Donovan
- Statement from Joey Unitas and Family on the Passing of Art Donovan
- Baltimore's Art Donovan Passes Away
Former Teammate Tom Matte Remembers Artie
Updated: Tuesday, August 6 2013, 06:17 PM EDT
Art Donovan was a hall of famer with a larger-than-life personality. He passed away Sunday night at the age of 88.
Tom Matte was a teammate with Artie in his rookie season. One of his fondest memories of Donovan was the first time he met the Colts legend. Artie's father, Art Sr., was a well-known boxing referee and Matte was thrilled at the chance to meet him, saying, "Mr. Donovan, it's such a pleasure to meet you, I can't wait to meet your son."
Of course, Matte was speaking to Artie and not his father. Things may have gotten off on the wrong foot but they became friends for a lifetime. Donovan was loved in Baltimore because he was a regular guy who just happened to play football.
Matte summed up Artie, "He loved to eat crabs, drink beer and eat hot dogs. What couldn't you like about the guy?"
Donovan's private funeral is scheduled for Friday at 11 a.m. at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Baltimore.