Hidden Household Dangers in Your Home
Updated: Friday, August 2 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
Each year, Maryland's Poison Center gets
thousands of frantic calls because young children are mistaking every
day items for candy and drinks.
What they are really ingesting is serious amounts of cleaners, medicines and even fuels that can burn their lungs.
According to Safe Kids Worldwide, 165 kids every day wind up in the emergency room after getting into medication.
Angel Bivens with Maryland's Poison Control says it's critical to make sure all the colorful dangers are out of sight and out of reach. Bivens says the center receives about 35,000 calls a year from parents of children who have accidentally consumed cleaners or medicines.
The Poison Control Center says unless your child is not breathing or having a seizure, your first step should be to call their center at 1-800-222-1222. They have nurses and experts on the line.