Children Evaluated After Chemical Exposure at AACO Camp
Updated: Wednesday, July 9 2014, 06:30 PM EDT
More than 30 children are being evaluated after a reported chemical exposure, possibly chlorine, at a YMCA camp in Edgewater.
Just before 10 a.m. AACO fire officials were alerted to the incident and were told that children were experiencing symptoms including nausea and vomiting. According to Anne Arundel County Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team the problem was caused by an apparent mechanical malfunction resulting in an excessive amount of either Sodium Hypochlorite or Muriatic Acid to enter into the pool.
The camp staff evacuated children from the pool and moved them to showers where they were decontaminated.
"The quick thinking of the staff is believed to have minimized the impact of the exposure," the AACO Fire Department said.
A total of thirty-five (35) patients were transported to Anne Arundel Medical Center (seven), Baltimore Washington Medical Center (18), Queen Anne Emergency Center (two) and John Hopkins University Hospital (eight). Of the thirty-five patients, four of them were adults and the rest were children between the ages of 6 and 16.
None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening.