Most Shared

text size

Electric Cord Sparked Fire that Killed Firefighter

Updated: Sunday, July 6 2014, 05:24 PM EDT

The fire commissioner says a high-rise apartment fire blaze that killed a New York City fire lieutenant started in an air-conditioner electrical cord pinched between a bed frame and a wall.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a statement Sunday that the fire has been ruled accidental.

Lt. Gordon Ambelas died late Saturday after suffering multiple injuries while looking for possible victims in a burning apartment in Brooklyn. His was the Fire Department of New York's first line-of-duty death in more than two years.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in an apartment on the 19th floor of a building in the Independence Towers complex, owned by the New York City Housing Authority. Flames spread to the 17th and 18th floors.

AP-WF-07-06-14 2036GMT



Electric Cord Sparked Fire that Killed Firefighter


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Top Stories

  [ - ] Video Stories Only  [ - ] Text Stories Only  [ + ] Show All
 
Advertise with us!