Most Shared

text size

Sparkler Ignites Shirt of 9-Year-Old, Causing Serious Burns

Updated: Friday, July 4 2014, 03:16 PM EDT

A 9-year-old child was flown to a hospital Friday morning with 50% burn injuries to his upper torso, neck and arms after a sparkler accident.

Police said around 10 a.m. at the Savage River State Forest in Swanton, Garrett County the child was playing outside of a tent when he ignited a sparkler, causing his shirt to accidentally catch on fire.

"Hand held sparklers burn at 1,200 degrees F and can quickly ignite combustibles such as clothing," State Fire Marshal Brain S.Geraci said. "The Office of the State Fire Marshal urges all Marylanders to keep fireworks out of the reach of children to avoid turning a holiday into a potential tragedy."

The boy was transported to the hospital by helicopter. Police gave no update on his condition.

Sparkler Ignites Shirt of 9-Year-Old, Causing Serious Burns


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Top Stories

  [ - ] Video Stories Only  [ - ] Text Stories Only  [ + ] Show All
 
Advertise with us!