MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Dredging planned on Baltimore County river estimated to cost $4.5 million

Baltimore County hopes to remove about 50,000 cubic yards of sediment and silt from Bird River and Railroad Creek

MIDDLE RIVER, Md. (WBFF) - Baltimore County hopes to remove about 50,000 cubic yards of sediment and silt from Bird River and Railroad Creek, starting in 2020, in a dredging project estimated to cost upward of $4.5 million.

The initiative aims to help homeowners and recreational boaters along the county's eastern waterfront, improving boating navigation and safety, said County Executive Kevin Kamenetz and Councilwoman Cathy Bevins in an announcement Thursday morning.

The design and permit process for the Bird River maintenance dredging project will start in Fiscal Year 2018 and construction is expected to start two years later.

The project will remove 50,000 cubic yards of material from 25,650 linear feet of the channel, according to the county's statement.

Baltimore County expected to fund 55 percent of the project and get the remaining 45 percent from a state grant.

This year, the county's Department of Environmental Protection and Sustainability will offer waterfront property owners the chance to have a spur channel dredged at their own expense. The county will also offer 10-year, interest-free loans to qualified residents.

Surveys conducted in 2015 showed that parts of the channel upstream from Stumpf's Marsh and Railroad Creek have filled in more than two feet and that maintenance dredging is needed.

The material collected will be placed at the county's dredge material containment facility next to Bowerman Lane, according to the release.

"Our waterfront is one of Baltimore County's best amenities and this project will help homeowners and recreational boaters access the Bird River and benefit from being on the water," said Kamenetz in a statement.

Bevins added: "This is a project that everyone is certainly looking forward to, especially at the upper reaches of the river to allow people to get their boats out."


Trending