Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission launches patient registry open enrollment
BALTIMORE (WBFF) – Open enrollment began Monday for the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC) Patient Registry.
“There is currently no legal medical cannabis available in the state of Maryland,” a release from MMCC reminds applicants. “The MMCC anticipates that medicine should be available to patients from a licensed Dispensary in late Summer 2017, depending on industry progress. As each Dispensary is established and licensed, their locations will be posted on MMCC’s website.”
According to the MMCC, approximately 4,000 patients and 100 caregivers have already applied to register, prior to the open enrollment period, in a phased rollout over the last two weeks. Companies with pre-approval to grow, process and dispense medical cannabis are working through a required approval process prior to a vote on final licenses.
In order for a patient to legally obtain medical cannabis, the patient must have a written certification from their physician approving the treatment for a qualifying medical condition. According to the MMCC, qualifying medical conditions include cachexia, anorexia, wasting syndrome, severe pain, severe nausea, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms, glaucoma, post-traumatic stress disorder and chronic pain.
For those interested in the patient registry process, the Commission outlined the following steps:
- Register as a patient;
- Obtain a written certification from a physician registered with MMCC;
- Visit a licensed Dispensary (once open), and
- Purchase an optional ID card for $50.
To register visit the MMCC website at mmcc.maryland.gov.
Prospective registrants can also visit one of several sign-up events, with the required documentation:
- May 1 - Eastern Shore Hospital Center (English Hall) | 5262 Woods Road |Cambridge, Maryland 21613
- May 2 - Kaplan University | 18618 Crestwood Drive | Administration Building, Room 106 | Hagerstown, Maryland 21742
- May 3 - Charles County Government Building | 200 Baltimore Street | Accounting Conference Room | La Plata, Maryland 20646
- May 4 - Department of Health and Mental Hygiene | 4201 Patterson Avenue | Rooms 105 and 106 | Baltimore, Maryland 21215
- May 10 – Prince George’s County Health Department | 3003 Hospital Drive | Room 1088 | Cheverly, Maryland 20785
For all requirements, including a list of required documentation for the sign-up events, visit mmcc.maryland.gov.