Match Day: One man's journey from near-death, to saving lives

Joshua Lupton came from Oregon, and will be returning to Oregon for his Medical residency. But he said his stint in Baltimore, at Johns Hopkins as a Medical Student has forever changed his life.

BALTIMORE (WBFF) -- Joshua Lupton came from Oregon, and will be returning to Oregon for his medical residency. But he said his stint in Baltimore, at Johns Hopkins as a medical student, has forever changed his life.

Lupton has just wrapped up his fourth year as a medical student and Friday was "Match Day."

But it was his own near death experience last year that changed his perspective on life, and on his career.

He has chosen to pursue emergency medicine.

Lupton was among the students at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine who gathered Friday to open envelopes that let them know where they will spend the next chapter of their lives, training for careers in the medical field of their choosing. The annual Match Day event is a rite of passage for graduating medical students, who will spend the next stage of their training in a three- to seven-year residency program, getting hands-on experience in a specific discipline. At that moment, students from medical schools around the United States will be doing the very same thing.

Lupton wrote his own synopsis about his journey stating;

“I grew up in Forest Grove, Oregon, and graduated from Forest Grove High School before attending the University of Oregon. After graduating summa cum laude from the University of Oregon, I traveled overseas to England as a Marshall Scholar to study for one year at Cambridge and another year at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, receiving a Master of Biological Sciences and Master of Public Health, respectively. Upon my return to the United States, I matriculated as a medical student at Johns Hopkins. I am proud to be the first in my family to become a doctor. I currently live with my wife, Katherine Lupton, in Baltimore, where she is a Spanish teacher in a Baltimore City public high school. In May 2016, near the end of my third year of medical school, I suffered an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest during a half-marathon. I collapsed just before the end of the race, and I would have died if not for the quick action of paramedics who started CPR within a minute and eventually defibrillated my heart back to a normal rhythm. After being brought to a nearby Emergency Department and stabilized, I was flown by helicopter to the cardiac ICU at Johns Hopkins, where I experienced life as a critically ill patient firsthand at the same institution where I am a medical student. The doctors had initially told my wife I might not survive and may have permanent brain damage — survival for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is less than 10 percent — but I woke up 12 hours later. I was discharged after five days, and I have made a full recovery, working again throughout the hospital and even in the cardiac ICU, where I was originally a patient. Katherine and I have also been able to start running again, and we wake up early to run around Baltimore before work every day. To be able to survive this experience and still be a physician is something I am extremely grateful for.”

The National Resident Matching Program was started in 1952.

Prior to Match Day, students complete lengthy paperwork and on-site interviews with hospitals, then provide a ranked list of their top choices. Hospitals submit a similar list, indicating openings, preferred students, and specialty or generalist preferences.

Each applicant is matched via computer algorithm to the hospital residency program that is highest on the applicant’s list and has offered the applicant a position.

Johns Hopkins students are often matched with their first- or second-choice sites.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off