Police: Armed man shot by officer the day after release from jail, on drug and gun charges

BALTIMORE (WBFF) – The 18-year-old shot by an officer on Tuesday had been arrested three times in the last month and was released from jail Monday on felony drug and gun charges, police said.

The suspect, whose name has yet to be released, was pronounced deceased at Shock Trauma. The officers were uninjured.

The shooting happened around 3 p.m. in the “Tri-District area,” where the western, southern and southwest police districts all meet. Officers from the Operation Intelligence Division, wearing tactical vests, were in the area for “proactive policing” when they saw a vehicle operating erratically, police spokesperson T.J. Smith said in a press briefing Tuesday afternoon.

The officers followed the vehicle and requested assistance from the Foxtrot helicopter. One of the vehicle's doors opened several times, indicative of a bailout, and at Fulton Avenue and Booth Street one of the occupants jumped out of the vehicle and took off on foot. An officer exited his own vehicle and began to pursue the suspect on foot, Smith said. The suspect fled towards Monroe Street and Frederick Avenue and ran down an alley off of Hollins Street, while the officer continued down Frederick. They came in contact with one another again at an alley on Frederick. The suspect was armed, and the officer fired out of fear for his safety, Smith said.

"The suspect came out of an alley that's just over my shoulder and the officer was running right here down Monroe and turned onto Frederick, heading in this direction," Smith described at the briefing. "So the suspect and the officer basically came face-to-face at a point in time in this confrontation."

It is unknown how many times the officer fired.

It does not appear the suspect fired his gun, Smith said, noting, "The gun was in his hand and in plain view."

The suspect was transported to Shock Trauma, where he was pronounced deceased.

According to investigators, police recovered a handgun from the scene. The officer was wearing a body camera, which was activated during the incident, Smith noted.

The Special Investigation Response Team (SIRT) is handling the investigation.

The suspect had been arrested three times in the last month, Smith said, twice with a handgun.

"This 18-year-old suspect has been arrested twice in the past month with a handgun and he was arrested once for another incident in the past month, just got out of jail yesterday on felony drug and gun charges," Smith said. “That’s really despicable because it's putting our officers and our citizens in harm’s way, seeing these people continuously possess these firearms and walk these streets and want to inflict harm on people."

Police will provide more updates later this week, in a follow-up press conference.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off