UAV spots stolen construction equipment in Cecil County
CECIL COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) – A large amount of construction equipment stolen from Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey was found in Cecil County, law enforcement officials announced.
According to the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office, the stolen equipment was spotted by investigators operating an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
The operation began after investigators from the New Jersey State Police identified an Elkton resident as a suspect and contacted the Cecil County jurisdiction about the ongoing investigation.
Surveillance was conducted and the suspect was witnessed traveling between Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey and frequenting property on Barksdale Road in Elkton, investigators said.
"Cecil County Sheriff Scott Adams operated the Sheriff’s Office UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) in an area where visual observations could be made of the property in question," the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office described in a release. "During this time, several large pieces of construction equipment was observed to the rear of a large structure on the property. The Cecil County Sheriff’s Office recently initiated their UAV program. Sheriff Adams, along with other deputies completed training and are certified, licensed UAV operators."
Search and seizure warrants were obtained and executed at the Barksdale Road property and the suspect's residence in Elkton.
Police say 17 pieces of construction equipment were seized from the Barksdale Road location and three additional pieces were sized from a property on Telegraph Road in Elkton.
Keys to the construction equipment were found at the suspect's residence, investigators noted.
The total value of the equipment is estimated at $394,000, of which $243,000 has been returned to the victims.
Investigators are now working to identify the remainder of the victims and additional arrests are expected, officials said.
The Cecil County Sheriff’s Office noted that several agencies took part in the investigation including the Delaware State Police, Pennsylvania State Police, New Jersey State Police, and Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife Natural Resources Police.
At this time investigators are not releasing the name of the suspect.
Seized Property list from the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office:
Reported Stolen Through Pennsylvania State Police:
- 2016 Silver Aluminum Alumacraft trailer with boxer, auger, and bucket (Approximate Value: $24,500)
- 14 foot Belmont dual axle trailer (Approximate Value: $6,500)
- Case Skid Steer (Approximate Value: $45,000)
- Dual axel dump trailer (Approximate Value: $10,000)
- John Deere 35D mini excavator (Approximate Value: $30,000)
- 2003 Thomas 1700 Skid-steer (Approximate Value: $15,000)
- Bobcat auger (Approximate Value: $2,000)
Reported Stolen Through Delaware State Police:
- John Deere 50G Excavator (Approximate Value: $60,000)
- John Deere 450J-Lt Bulldozer (Approximate Value: $18,000)
- Case 580 Super M Backhoe Series 2 (Approximate Value: $12,000)
Reported Stolen Through New Jersey State Police:
- Kubota KX71-3 Excavator (Approximate Value: $20,000)
Seized Items Belonging to Unknown Victims
- Yellow Chipper - Model 200 XP (Approximate Value: $12,000)
- Yellow Stump Grinder (Approximate Value: $12,000)
- 2007 14 foot Tri-Axel trailer (Approximate Value: $11,000)
- Black “Big Tex” 14 foot enclosed trailer (Approximate Value: $15,000)
- John Deere 270 Skid Steer (Approximate Value: $40,000)
- Kubota KX121-3 Excavator (Approximate Value: $40,000)
- Black Belmont 14 foot trailer (Approximate Value: $11,000)
- Silver 12 foot Car Hauler (Approximate Value: $10,000)
Total Number of Construction Items Seized: 19
Total Number of Items Returned to Owners: 11
Number of Outstanding Items: 8
Approximate Value of Items Returned to Owner: $243,000.00
Approximate Value of Unclaimed Seized Items: $151,000.00
Total Approximate Value of All Items Seized: $394,000.00