- Four Orioles Selected to All-Star Game
- Lloyd scores 3 and US defeats Japan 5-2 for World Cup title
- USA Up 4-0 On Japan Just 16 Minutes In
- Schoop HR in return from disabled list, O's beat White Sox
- Orioles activate second baseman Jonathan Schoop
- Boston's David Ortiz starting at 1st base
- Bud Norris Demoted To O's Bullpen
- Matt Stonie beats Joey Chestnut to win Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
- Danks, Abreu lead White Sox over Orioles 1-0
- Bubba Watson to remove Confederate flag from 'General Lee'
- Rangers score 2 in 9th to beat Orioles 2-0
- D.J. Stewart Makes Professional Debut
- Chargers Tight End Antonio Gates Suspended 4 Games
- Cowboys' McClain suspended 1st 4 games of regular season
- Own goal gives Japan 2-1 win over England in World Cup semi
- O's DFA Young; Recall Wilson
- D.J. Stewart to Debut Thursday
- Navy Football No Longer Independent
- Former Raven Damion Cook dies of heart attack
- AP source: Phillies hire MacPhail as team president
- Orioles hit 3 HRs and beat Indians 8-0 for sweep
- LeBron James bypasses option, becomes free agent
- Jimenez sharp for 8 innings as Orioles beat Indians 4-0
- US defeats China 1-0, plays Germany in World Cup semifinals
- Scherzer working on 2nd straight no-hitter, perfect thru 5
- Ryne Sandberg resigns as Philadelphia Phillies manager
- Mayweather-Pacquiao boosts casino winnings above $1 billion
- T'Wolves Select Karl-Anthony Towns With First Pick
- Orioles Win Another Series
- O's Gonzalez Reinstated From Disabled List
- Virginia wins 1st CWS title in 4-2 win over Vanderbilt
- Japan Beats the Netherlands to Reach World Cup Quarterfinal
- Scherzer Loses Perfect Game in 9th, No Hits Pirates
- O's Score 3 in the 9th, Even Series
- O's Almost No-Hit, Rally Falls Short
- A-Rod Homers for 3,000th Hit
- Jason Day Collapses During U.S. Open
- The "Big 33" Football Classic
- Phillies End 9-Game Slide, Beat O's
- Ravens to stay on West Coast after facing Broncos, 49ers
- Ravens Offensive Line Stays The Same
- Obama phones coaches of Warriors, Blackhawks with congrats
- The Latest: Warriors' Iguodala voted MVP of NBA Finals
- Chen Tosses 8 Scoreless in Win
- Hornets Trade Stephenson to Clippers
- Eight Royals Could Start in All-Star Game
- Report: Nuggets Hire Mike Malone
- Padres Fire Bud Black
- Bad 5th Inning Snaps O's Win Streak
- A-Rod Enters Rare 2,000 RBI Club
Airwaves Buzzing Over Two-Game Suspension for Ray Rice
Updated: Friday, July 25 2014, 09:09 PM EDT
The two-game suspension for Ravens RB Ray Rice has ignited a chorus of complaints, and is making headlines across the globe.
The NFL announced Thursday it would suspend Ray Rice for the first two games of the season without pay and fine him $58,000. NFL Commissioner Rodger Goodell said Rice violated the league's personal conduct policy for his February arrest when he and his then-fiance Janay Palmer were arrested for fighting in Atlantic City. Video obtained by TMZ sports showed the Ravens star dragging Janay, motionless, out of an elevator at the Revel Casino.
Rice and Palmer were married one day after Rice was indicted by a grand jury on third-degree aggravated assault.
On talk radio Friday the airwaves were buzzing - it seemed everyone was armed with an opinion.
"The message from the NFL is that it'll get you banned for two games but smoke pot and that'll suspend you for a year," Keith Olberman said.
Dan Patrick commented, "It seems light to me."
But many of those who have watching it play out in the global media aren't all quick to condemn; in fact many Rice fans complain the national media is taking this story too far, too fast.
Sports Talk radio's Rob Long says a slightly greater number of his listeners are defending Rice than condemning him. On Friday he was urging them to move on.
"You can kick and scream all you want but it's done," Long said. "He can serve a two game suspension. He's gonna play football in week three."
In May Rice entered a not-guilty plea. He was accepted into the Pre-Trial intervention program; if he successfully completes the program it would result in the charge against him being dropped and his record expunged.
After the suspension was announced Thursday Rice said, "It is disappointing that I will not be with my teammates for the first two games of the season, but that's my fault...As I said earlier, I failed in many ways. But Janay and I have learned from this. We have become better as a couple and as parents."