- Former Raven Damion Cook dies of heart attack
- AP source: Phillies hire MacPhail as team president
- Orioles hit 3 HRs and beat Indians 8-0 for sweep
- LeBron James bypasses option, becomes free agent
- Jimenez sharp for 8 innings as Orioles beat Indians 4-0
- US defeats China 1-0, plays Germany in World Cup semifinals
- Scherzer working on 2nd straight no-hitter, perfect thru 5
- Ryne Sandberg resigns as Philadelphia Phillies manager
- Mayweather-Pacquiao boosts casino winnings above $1 billion
- T'Wolves Select Karl-Anthony Towns With First Pick
- Orioles Win Another Series
- O's Gonzalez Reinstated From Disabled List
- Virginia wins 1st CWS title in 4-2 win over Vanderbilt
- Japan Beats the Netherlands to Reach World Cup Quarterfinal
- Scherzer Loses Perfect Game in 9th, No Hits Pirates
- O's Score 3 in the 9th, Even Series
- O's Almost No-Hit, Rally Falls Short
- A-Rod Homers for 3,000th Hit
- Jason Day Collapses During U.S. Open
- The "Big 33" Football Classic
- Phillies End 9-Game Slide, Beat O's
- Ravens to stay on West Coast after facing Broncos, 49ers
- Ravens Offensive Line Stays The Same
- Obama phones coaches of Warriors, Blackhawks with congrats
- The Latest: Warriors' Iguodala voted MVP of NBA Finals
- Chen Tosses 8 Scoreless in Win
- Hornets Trade Stephenson to Clippers
- Eight Royals Could Start in All-Star Game
- Report: Nuggets Hire Mike Malone
- Padres Fire Bud Black
- Bad 5th Inning Snaps O's Win Streak
- A-Rod Enters Rare 2,000 RBI Club
- Machado HR, 4 RBIs carry Orioles to 9-4 win over Yankees
- Triple Crown winner American Pharoah takes parade lap
- Orioles Release Cabrera
- Orioles beat Yankees 11-3 for 5th straight win
- USA 0-0 Draw with Sweden
- Fan hit by broken bat at Fenway released from hospital
- O's Earn First Sweep
- Miguel Gonzalez Placed on D.L.
- Eagles release two-time Pro Bowl guard Mathis
- Blatter spokesman De Gregorio to leave FIFA immediately
- Dylan Bundy Back on the Disabled List
- Cavs beat Warriors 96-91, take 2-1 series lead
- O's Draft D.J. Stewart in 1st Round
- U.S. Women Win Opening Match
- Triple Crown winner burned up last quarter-mile in Belmont
- Norris Gets Wins In Return Over Indians 7-3
- Truex breaks through at Pocono for 1st win since 2013
- Plans are in works for American Pharoah's next start
Michael Phelps swims butterfly in freestyle event
Updated: Friday, April 25 2014, 09:49 PM EDT
MESA, Ariz. -- Michael Phelps stuck with his plan to swim the butterfly stroke in the 50-meter freestyle Friday at the Arena Grand Prix, wrapping up his return to competitive swimming this week with a time of 24.06 seconds during preliminaries at Skyline Aquatic Center.
The 22-time Olympic medalist was 42nd out of 89 finishers in qualifying. He chose to swim butterfly to work on that stroke in his first meet back since the 2012 London Olympics. South African Roland Schoeman of Phoenix Swim Club was the fastest in 50 free prelims at 22.43.
Phelps did not qualify for the evening final and is not swimming in the final day of the meet Saturday. He was second in the 100 butterfly behind Ryan Lochte on Thursday.
Phelps' time ties for 25th best in the world in the 50 butterfly this year.
"I think it's a good starting point," said Phelps, who next will swim in a few events at the Arena Grand Prix in Charlotte, May 15-18. "Just being able to get some races back under my belt. The schedule wasn't ideal for what I should swim at this very moment."
Other individual races Friday are the 400 individual medley, 200 free and 200 backstroke.
"I'm not ever going to do the 400 IM, that I will guarantee you," Phelps said.
"Is that kind of like, 'I will never, ever swim again?' " countered his coach Bob Bowman, which generated laughs at the news conference.
Phelps said he was not ready to swim two events Thursday – 100 freestyle in addition to the 100 butterfly, as he planned originally – and did not want to swim anything longer than 100 meters.
"As a whole I think I felt pretty good just being able to get back in the water and race again," Phelps said. "I was very excited. I felt like a kid and that was the coolest part about it."
If Phelps competes at the Phillips 66 National Championships Aug. 6-10 in Irvine, Calif., he would have a chance to qualify for the 2014 Pan Pacific and 2015 World Championship teams.