31st Annual Champions of Courage Black History Month Essay Competition. Tell us about your Champion of Courage… and you could appear on FOX45 and CW Baltimore!
Write a brief essay saluting the person who has shared with you Dr. MartinLuther King, Jr.’s lessons and legacy.
Win prizes for you and your school!
WBFF CHAMPIONS OF COURAGE CONTEST RULES
Contest: 31st Annual Champions of Courage Black History Month Essay Competition
Station: Sinclair Communications, LLC dba WBFF
Station Address: WBFF, 2000 West 41st Street, Baltimore, MD 21211
Contest Area: Baltimore City and Maryland Counties: Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard and Queen Anne
Age of Eligibility: 10 to 18 (grades 6-12).
Sponsor(s): The Station.
Prize Provider(s): The Station
Contest Period: October 30, 2017 to December 8, 2017.
Entries Due: December 8, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. EST.
Entry is limited to one (1) entry per contestant.
Essay Topic: Your “Champion of Courage” role model.
Judging Criteria: originality (20%), language art skills (30%), and execution of the Essay Topic (50%).
Winner Selection Date(s): December 12, 2017
Number of Winners on each Winner Selection Date(s): Twenty (20)
Total Number of Winners for the Contest Period: Twenty (20)
Prize(s) and Value(s): Each winner will have an opportunity to appear on WBFF, WNUV and WUTB to present their essay saluting their Champion of Courage and is invited, along with two (2) guests, to an awards breakfast in late January 2018 to receive a $100 cash award. Taping will occur on or about December 18-19, 2017. Winners who do not appear at his/her scheduled time for taping will be disqualified. Each prize is valued at $225.
Station’s Website: www.foxbaltimore.com
Station’s Website Terms and Conditions: http://foxbaltimore.com/station/terms
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, and reside in the Contest Area.
2. Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., and the Station (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsors, Prize Providers, contest software providers, social media platforms, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee.
How to Enter and Win
a. To enter, access or download the entry form located on the Station’s Website. Complete the entry form online or by hand, including all contact information, and the essay portion up to 90 words (able to read aloud in 25 seconds), and either, 1) mail your completed entry form to the Station’s Address, or 2) entrants’ over the age of 13 can upload the completed entry form on the Station’s Website. Essays must be of a real person, legible, and contain no fictional characters. No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
b. By entering, entrants represent and warrant (i) that the essay submitted is his/her own work, (ii) the essay submitted does not violate the rights of any third parties, and (iii) the essay becomes the property of the Station in accordance with the Station’s Website Terms and Conditions. The Station reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to disqualify any entry.
c. Each essay/entry will be judged and scored by a panel of judges comprised of Station personnel based on the Judging Criteria.
d. The Number of Winners on each Winner Selection Date(s) will be determined by the judges based on the Judging Criteria. The decisions of the judges shall be final.
Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries, including any required submission, received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries, including any required submission, become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
3. Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prizes, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed.
4. Each winner will be notified by email or phone. Before claiming any prize, each winner must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within three (3) days of notification (or less due to prize use time constraints), at the time winner claims his/her prize in person at the Station. If a winner is a minor, then the release and affidavit of eligibility must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. Each winner must show picture identification to claim his/her prize. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding any prize based on the identification presented.
5. If a winner cannot be notified within two (2) days, or does not timely sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility, then the winner will be disqualified, the prize will be forfeited, and time permitting, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner, which shall be determined in the same manner as the disqualified winner. If time does not permit for an alternate winner to be selected, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will remain the property of the Station.
6. There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
7. Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
8. Only one prize will be awarded per household if more than one prize is awarded. Entrants are eligible to win only one prize within any 90 day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
9. The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
10. The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that entrant is a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
11. Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
12. The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.