BREAKING NEWS: GTTF Leader sentenced to 25 years in federal prison

Wayne Jenkins (Courtesy of Baltimore City Police)

BALTIMORE (WBFF)-- The leader of the disbanded Gun Trace Task Force has been sentenced to 25 years in federal prison.

Sgt. Wayne Jenkins pleaded guilty to charges in January including robbery and racketeering.

Jenkins cried as he apologized to family members of those he victimized while policing the streets of Baltimore. He also apologized to the community as well Marine Corps.

The Government argued for a stiff sentence considering how difficult this sort of crime is to detect saying what separates Jenkins from other officers is that he was in a leadership role and had a operation he was operating on the side that involved the drugs he stole almost on a daily basis.

In a release, the United State's Attorney's Office said, Jenkins joined the Baltimore Police Department (BPD) on February 20, 2003 and was promoted to Sergeant on November 20, 2013. On June 13, 2016, Jenkins became the Officer in Charge of the Gun Trace Task Force (GTTF,) a specialized unit within the Operational Investigation Division of the BPD. According to the plea agreement, Jenkins schemed to steal money, property, and narcotics by detaining victims, entering residences, conducting traffic stops, and swearing out false search warrant affidavits. In addition, Jenkins prepared and submitted false official incident and arrest reports, reports of property seized from arrestees, and charging documents. The false reports concealed the fact that Jenkins and his co-conspirators had stolen money, property, and narcotics from individuals.

According to his plea agreement, Jenkins admitted that he participated in seven separate robberies between May 2011 and August 2016. Jenkins also stole dirt bikes from individuals who were riding them illegally on city streets and then sold them through an associate.

In addition to the robberies, Jenkins also admitted to stealing 4-5 boxes, containing approximately 12 pounds, of high-grade marijuana that had been intercepted by law enforcement from the U.S. mail, as well as prescription medicines that he had stolen from someone looting a pharmacy during the April 2015 riots. Jenkins admitted he gave D.S. drugs he stole from detainees and arrestees, including cocaine, marijuana and heroin. D.S. was able to sell the drugs and shared the proceeds with Jenkins. In total, D.S. paid Jenkins $200,000 to $250,000 of drug proceeds.

In an effort to conceal his true identity, Jenkins told detainees and arrestees that he was a federal task force officer, which he was not, and told his co-defendants to identify him as the U.S. Attorney.

Jenkins admitted to obstructing law enforcement by alerting his co-defendants about potential investigations of their criminal conduct. Jenkins learned that Gondo and Rayam were under investigation from other BPD officers, then shared this information with his co-defendants. When Jenkins, Gondo, Hendrix, Hersl, Rayam, Taylor and Ward were detained in the Howard County Detention Center, Jenkins directed the defendants to “keep their mouths shut” and “stick to the story,” or words to that effect, in an effort to obstruct justice.

Jenkins has also pleaded guilty to planting evidence and authoring a false police report which resulted in the conviction and imprisonment of two Baltimore City men in 2010.

Jenkins still didn't admit to planting the drugs following car crash that claimed an innocent man's life and landed two men in jail.

According to the plea agreement, Jenkins admitted that he routinely submitted false and fraudulent individual overtime reports, thereby defrauding the Baltimore Police Department and the citizens of the State of Maryland. On these reports, Jenkins falsely certified that he worked his entire regularly assigned shifts, when he did not, and that he worked additional hours for which he received overtime pay, when he had not worked all and in some cases any of those overtime hours. Jenkins also admitted that he submitted false and fraudulent overtime reports on behalf of his co-defendants.

His plea agreement called for a sentence of 20-30 years behind bars.

He told the judge he's read the Bible more than 31 times.

Another officer who was part of the rogue unit faces a judge later this afternoon.

The Baltimore City State's Attorney says nearly 2,000 cases associated with the officers had to be dropped.

To read more about the Gun Trace Task Force, click here.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off