Supervisor of Baltimore Police's Gun Trace Task Force pleads guilty

Wayne Jenkins (Courtesy of Baltimore City Police)

BALTIMORE (WBFF) -- The supervisor of the Baltimore Police Department’s former Gun Trace Task Force pleaded guilty in Federal Court on Friday to racketeering, robbery and other allegations.

Former BPD Sgt. Wayne Jenkins pleaded guilty to "one count of racketeering conspiracy, one count of racketeering, two counts of robbery, one count of destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in a federal investigation, and four counts of deprivation of rights under color of law," according to the plea agreement.

Also in the agreement, Jenkins admitted that he participated in seven separate robberies between May 2011 and August 2016. The agreement says Jenkins “schemed to steal money, property and narcotics by detaining victims, entering residences, conducting traffic stops, and swearing out false search warrant affidavits.” He submitted false incident and arrest reports, as well as reports of property seized from arrestees.

The agreement says Jenkins “stole dirt bikes from individuals riding them illegally on city streets and then sold them through an associate.”

Jenkins also admitted to stealing 12 pounds of “high-grade marijuana that had been intercepted by law enforcement from the U.S. mail, as well as prescription medicines that he had stolen from someone looting a pharmacy during the 2015 riots.”

In November 2017, a federal grand jury indicted Jenkins on additional charges relating to a 2010 arrest based in part on planted evidence that led to the conviction of two city men. Late Homicide Detective Sean Suiter was set to give testimony in that case a day after he was fatally shot in west Baltimore.

Jenkins pleaded guilty to planting evidence in that case.

Jenkins, along with six other officers in the task force, where indicted beginning in February 2017. Momodu Bondeva Kenton Gondo a/k/a 'GMoney' and 'Mike,' Evodio Calles Hendrix, Maurice Kilpatrick Ward, Jemell Lamar Rayam, Daniel Thomas Hersl and Marcus Roosevelt Taylor and Jenkins have been in FBI custody since then.

In the agreement, Jenkins also admitted to obstructing law enforcement by alerting Gondo and Rayam that they were under investigation. Jenkins told Gondo that there was a federal wiretap on his phone.

While being held at the Howard County Detention Center Jenkins told all of the indicted officers to “keep their mouths shut” and “stick to the story,” the agreement says.

Jenkins also admitted to submitting fraudulent overtime reports saying he worked his regularly assigned shifts or he worked additional hours, when he did not.

During the court hearing, Jenkins expressed remorse saying, "I am ashamed."

Jenkins faces a minimum sentence of 20 years, with a maximum of 30 years.

Jenkins was with the force for 14 years.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off