Staff Member Shot at Frederick Douglass High School

    Michael Marks, a staff member at Frederick Douglass High, was shot by a relative of a student today

    BALTIMORE (WBFF)- Baltimore School and City Police are investigating a shooting at Frederick Douglass High School.

    The call came out just after noon Friday for shots fired inside of the school building.

    City Schools says a special education assistant was shot by an adult who was trying to gain access to the school.

    The victim was confirmed to be Michael Marks, 56, who was taken to a hospital and is now listed in serious but stable condition.

    The suspect is an "adult family member of a student," said the city schools system. The 25-year-old suspect is in custody.

    "The shooting took place during a confrontation in the lobby area of the building. On hearing the shots, school police officers responded immediately. The shooter was taken into custody without incident. The school was placed on lockdown while city and school police secured the area," said the schools system in a statement.

    "At 1:15, students were dismissed to be with their families and to enable the investigation at the school to be completed. To minimize crowds and any potential confusion at the Mondawmin transit hub, dismissal at nearby secondary schools was staggered, with Coppin Academy closing at 2:15," the statement continued.

    School CEO Sonja Santelises added about the victim: “He has served Baltimore’s students for many years, and I ask you all as part of our City Schools community to hold him and his family in your hearts.”

    She also said: “In a city where violence is too present, our schools must be havens of safety and peace, where confrontation and weapons have no place. I can tell you that both our officers and our injured staff member did everything to ensure the safety of our students. In the coming days, we will have more information about the incident, and we will also review our safety and security protocols for Frederick Douglass High School and all our schools. My highest priority is the safety and well-being of our students and staff members, and I and my leadership team will take all possible steps to ensure that our schools are the safe havens they need to be.”

    There are reports that the shooting stemmed from an altercation related to a mediation meeting.

    Frederick Douglass High School was placed on lockdown before students were released.

    All students are safe, concerned parents swarmed the school building.

    Baltimore's mayor says an assessment will be done to see how to "prevent this type of incident from happening again."

    Baltimore City Schools CEO Dr. Sonja Santelises said: "We will also review our safety and security protocols for [Douglass] and all our schools..."

    The Baltimore Teachers Union president said in a statement she's "appalled" by the incident.

    “This afternoon, one of our Paraprofessionals at Frederick Douglass High School was shot by a Baltimore City resident who came into the school with the goal of doing bodily harm. We applaud School Police for containing this situation. Their quick actions helped to keep the remainder of Frederick Douglass High School staff and students safe. We are also keeping our member in our thoughts as he continues to fight through the injuries sustained during this incident," said union president Marietta English.

    She continued: "Today’s shooting came on the heels of our third BTU School Safety Taskforce meeting held this morning, where representatives from school police, teachers, principals, and staff and students from Frederick Douglass High School, were in attendance working on our plan to make Baltimore City Schools safe. The BTU is appalled that this incident has occurred, and we will not stop until the Code of Conduct and School Culture and Climate recommendations we develop with the School Safety Taskforce are implemented.”

    This is a developing story.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...