MILFORD MILL, Md. (WBFF) - Baltimore County officials sounded the alarm on Wednesday when they learned that kerosene sold at a Randallstown-area gas station had been mixed with gasoline.
Just before 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Maryland’s Emergency Management Agency issued a government alert on wireless devices, but not everyone received them.
“This is the first one I have not received,” said a gas customer shortly after the alert was issued.
Officials at MEMA say receiving the alert depended on users proximity to cellphone towers.
“It hits the cell towers in that area and then any phone which is served by that cell tower will go off,” said MEMA spokesman Ed McDonough.
Users also have the option of turning off the alerts but officials warn against it.