
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WBFF) — After questions for lawmakers about the future of the Baltimore City State’s Attorney Ivan Bates’ proposed legislation to raise the maximum sentence for certain gun crime, it appears that there’s movement for the proposal.
Bates wants to raise the maximum sentence for a misdemeanor gun possession charge from three years to five years, for offenders 21-years-old and older. He said there shouldn’t be a difference in maximum penalties for people 21 and older because right now, if the defendant is between 18 and 20 years old, the maximum is five years.
RELATED |SA Bates pushes for tougher gun offense sentences while concerns remain in Annapolis
On Jan. 17, 2023, Bates stood before the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to make his pitch to lawmakers.
“It will hopefully prevent the number of homicides from occurring in our city and across the state,” Bates said during the hearing.
Several lawmakers raised questions about the implementation of the proposal, including Baltimore City Sen. Jill Carter, a Democrat, who said the focus should center around gun distributors. Carter compared the issue to the one of drugs, saying “too often we attack guns and gun crimes in much of an ill-advised way that we attacked the drug problem.”
“I’m concerned we aren’t attacking the guns at the highest level – how are they getting into the city,” Carter continued during the hearing on Jan. 17, 2023. “Even if we consider your proposal Mr. Bates – but also consider when we arrest the little guy on the street with a gun – what are our efforts in tracking how they came into possession of the gun.”
So far, no lawmaker has introduced the legislation but that could be changing.
Republican State Del. Nino Mangione, of Baltimore County, sent Bates a letter on Jan. 25 praising the newly sworn-in prosecutor for his proposal, criticized other lawmakers for not sponsoring the legislation, and offered to do it himself.
“I hope you are not discouraged in your efforts by the less-than-enthusiastic response you received recently in Annapolis. This is regrettable and irresponsible,” Mangione wrote in the letter. “Your proposed legislation will hopefully be a deterrent to the homicides occurring in the city and across Maryland. There must be accountability for violent offenders regardless of their age and I am committed to assisting you in any way possible.”
Sen. Jill Carter, D-Baltimore City, told FOX45 News Wednesday, she didn’t “know if there should be a discrepancy” in the sentencing, but wasn’t sure if Bates’ “proposal is it.” Carter didn’t say whether she would support the proposal but said she would review it if there’s a bill introduced.
RELATED |Exclusive: Ivan Bates assumes top prosecutor's office, talks tough on guns and hiring plan
When questioned, Sen. Antonio Hayes said he would make a decision on the legislation “if and when” he’s given an opportunity “to weigh in on the legislation at that time I have a work product to consider.”
“I will not sponsor this legislation, I have reached the maximum number of 30 bills I can sponsor in a legislative session,” Sen. Hayes told FOX45 News via statement. “Many of my bills are currently being drafted by our staff at legislative services ranging from addressing historical redlining and vacant properties, creating opportunities for diversity in technology, and follow-up legislation to amend the paid sick leave bill I sponsored and passed last session to name a few.”
Sen. McCray didn’t answer the questions directly, but said he looks “forward to robust discussion around the topic and working alongside Mr. Bates and my colleagues to address concerns about crime and public safety facing my constituents in Baltimore City and across the state of Maryland.”
Bates is scheduled to brief the City Delegation on Friday and the proposed legislation is expected to be discussed. Del. Stephanie Smith, D-Baltimore City, said she was looking forward to hearing from him directly about his proposal.
“We want to be real partners with him,” Smith said.
The Baltimore City Delegation’s virtual hearing is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.
Follow Political Reporter Mikenzie Frost on Twitter and Facebook. Send tips to mbfrost@sbgtv.com.