IN CUSTODY: Suspect Captured after Police Pursuit

IN CUSTODY: Suspect Captured after Police Pursuit

BALTIMORE (WBFF)-- Baltimore City Police confirm that a suspect is in custody after a lengthy pursuit that spanned parts of Baltimore City Friday.

Police say the car was wanted in connection with a triple shooting Thursday that left one person dead and a non fatal shooting from last week.

Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said it was an, "Active shooter on a shooting spree."

Police say the suspect fired his weapons as he was driving, shooting at an officer and random citizens.

Two people were hit, one was shot in the leg in the 3100 block of W. North Ave.

Another, shot in the upper body on Rogers Ave near Wabash Ave is listed in critical condition. Police say a person who was in the car with that victim, went into cardiac arrest.

Shots were fired at two others in the 4400 block of Park Heights Ave, neither of those people were hit.

Police say the pursuit began at 11:07 am after an alert officer recognized the car that police had been looking for in relation to the previous shootings.

When that officer tried to stop the car near Fulton Ave and Reisterstown Rd, the suspect initially complied, but then pulled off, prompting officers to follow him.

Police cars and the department's helicopter followed the suspect in a pursuit that spanned a large portion of West and Northwest Baltimore.

The suspect's vehicle was badly damaged during the pursuit. There were reports that the suspect may have struck other cars during the incident.

The chase ended at Gwynns Falls Pkwy and Reisterstown Rd, when police say the suspect's girlfriend, who he'd been communicating with, ran over to the car as it stopped.

She pulled the suspect out of the car and officers took him into custody.

An ambulance was called for one officer on scene with a leg injury. The Commissioner said that officer appeared to be in a lot of pain, but was expected to be okay.

Chief T.J. Smith says the officer suffered a serious leg injury during the arrest.

The suspect was not injured and is enroute to Central Booking. Police have not released his identity but say he is 30 years old.

Police said there were half a dozen crime scenes across the city that needed to be processed before a full list of charges would be released.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off