BALTIMORE (WBFF) — After days of ignoring questions about thousands of students in Baltimore City who did not test proficiently in math n the latest state testing, Mayor Brandon Scott faced questions in person Tuesday about the 23 schools without students testing at grade level.
FOX45’s Project Baltimore previously reported that 2,000 students were unable to do math at grade level in high schools, middle and elementary schools across Baltimore City, according to the latest state testing.
The story sparked frustration from many people in Baltimore City and captured attention nationwide.
"In 23 Baltimore City schools, not a single student is proficient in math. Not one," former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo wrote on Twitter. "This is a scandal."
However, Mayor Scott and his team have ignored questions sent by FOX45 News about the problem for days, including:
Tuesday, Mayor Scott appeared in person at an unrelated housing event and answered some of the questions. Seemingly reading from prepared statements, Mayor Scott said the test scores show a trend statewide of math scores dropping.
According to the latest data, Baltimore City ranked last in the state when it came to students testing proficiently in math. Nonetheless, Mayor Scott said the story being discussed is not “the full picture” of test scores from students within City Schools. The mayor also said City Schools has made gains in closing the achievement gaps for some students.
“You guys are choosing to focus on a single data point instead of talking about the full picture,” Mayor Scott said.
That statement was similar to a tweet Baltimore City Public Schools posted on Twitter Tuesday morning, indicating a coordinated communication response after days of silence from the top leader in Baltimore.
Mayor Scott’s comment, putting the blame on FOX45 News for reporting on publicly available test scores, isn’t the first-time elected leaders have shifted responsibility.
In Annapolis, Delegates Robbyn Lewis and Sandy Rosenberg, both elected leaders from Baltimore City, dodged questions from FOX45 News.
Del. Rosenberg told FOX45 News he would respond to our emails “[When] you do a story about students who are succeeding in City School. You never do.”
When asked who he holds accountable for the test scores, Del. Rosenberg said FOX45 News’ boss.
“Your boss and the distorted coverage you provide,” the delegate said.
The data showing 23 schools had zero students proficient in math came from the test given by Baltimore City Public Schools and the results provided by the Maryland State Department of Education. Del. Lewis didn’t respond to the questions.
In a lengthy commentary-style response to a question about how he defends the test scores and if there should be a change in leadership within the school system, Mayor Scott said FOX45 News doesn’t highlight success stories of students, and ultimately, everyone should be working to help students succeed in the classroom.
“There’s a lot of work to be done at city schools, and they know that. But that work is not just on city schools alone; that’s on all of us to do that for young people,” Mayor Scott said. “Can they be better? Yes. Will they be better? Yes. Will I push them? Yes.”
Mayor Scott left the event before follow-up questions could be asked, specifically about other issues within City Schools. Previously, FOX45’s Project Baltimore uncovered ghost students in some City Schools and a grade-changing scheme that sparked an investigation by the state’s education watchdog.
Ghost students are known to educators as students who are kept on the enrollment books, possibly to continue receiving funding from the state and federal government, even though the student does not attend school anymore. Project Baltimore spoke with a student who said he couldn’t have been enrolled, as his school had him listed, because he was in jail at the time.
FOX45 News sent questions to Mayor Scott asking:
As of news time, Mayor Scott’s Office did not respond.
Del. Stephanie Smith, chair of an education subcommittee in the House of Delegates, had a hearing scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. When questioned briefly about the problem, she didn’t respond. Instead, she walked into the committee room.
Sen. Cory McCray, along with Dels. Caylin Young and Jackie Addison, issued a joint statement in response to the questions. The trio, representing District 45 in Baltimore City, said the accountability for student achievement “is a shared responsibility among all of us,” and improving the outcomes require a commitment to providing students with “the necessary resources and support to achieve their fullest potential.”
The lawmakers said they remain committed to working with the various stakeholders – teachers, parents, community members, and others – to find solutions that enhance student outcomes.
“This may involve evaluating current policies and programs, offering teachers opportunities for professional growth, and providing additional resources to students who require additional support,” they said. “We will continue to support and promote legislation to achieve this goal.”
Currently, Baltimore City Public Schools operates with a $1.6 billion budget, which comes out to about $21,000 per student; City Schools remains in the top five of all large school districts nationwide when it comes to per-pupil funding.
Lawmakers in Annapolis approved the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future – or Kirwan education plan – that calls to send $30 billion to school districts statewide over the next decade. Sen. McCray and the other two delegates from his district, said investing more money in education ‘Is pivotal in fostering student success” and future preparations.
It is no secret that Baltimore City schools have been chronically underfunded by nearly $300 million per year under the previous funding formula according to the State’s own reporting,” McCray and the others said via statement. “This has contributed to the struggles we see today. We know this applies for both capital and operating budgetary deficiencies. The remedy to past underinvestment is investment.
Not all lawmakers agree that spending more money on a school system plagued with problems is the best approach. Del. Nino Manigone, R-Baltimore County, said leaders are always looking for more money, “never we need more accountability.”
“It’s an obvious indictment of what’s going on,” Mangione said. “At some point, the answer has to be -- you know what -- we need to get rid of people who are not getting the job done, have a real systemic change to what’s actually happening.”
“We are guaranteeing a life of failure for these individuals, children most of them, if we cannot provide them at least an opportunity where they are not doomed to failure in a system that isn’t working regardless of how much money we throw at it,” Mangione said.
Back inside City Hall, some elected leaders are calling for action. Councilman Robert Stokes, chair of the Education, Workforce, and Youth Committee, said he would call a hearing to get answers from City Schools CEO Sonja Santelises. However, due to upcoming budget hearings, Stokes said the accountability hearing would likely take place in April.
Follow Political Reporter Mikenzie Frost on Twitter and Facebook. Send tips to mbfrost@sbgtv.com.