Police investigating death of Caroline Co. attempted abduction suspect

    maryland state police trooper car pic from pkg.jpg

    CAROLINE COUNTY, MD -- WBFF -- Maryland State Police say that an investigation is underway into the death of a man in Caroline County, on Saturday night.

    19-year-old Antone Black of Greensboro, died after he reportedly fled from police and was arrested for attempting a child abduction. Black was transported to Easton Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, after police administered Narcan and performed C.P.R. on scene.

    The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore lists the cause and manner of death as pending as toxicology results and additional organ testing needs to be completed. The child involved is a 12-year-old boy, who is not being identified. He was reunited with his parents in Greensboro after the incident.

    Investigators say that shortly after 7:00 p.m., a Greensboro Police officer responded to Sunset Avenue, in the area of the Choptank River Bridge for the report of a man, later identified as Black, dragging a 12-year-old boy down the street. The officer was helped by an off-duty police officer from the Ridgely Police Department, who was in the area at the time of the incident.

    Upon the officer's arrival, Antone Back, was observed forcibly restraining the boy. The officer left his vehicle and told Black to let the boy go. As Black let go of the child, the officer asked if they were related. The boy yelled that they were not related and Black told the police officer that they were brothers.

    The officer then told Black to place his hands behind his back. Black told the officer that he loved him and then Black immediately fled the scene. The officer, along with two other officers, chased Black. The chase ended at Black's home in a trailer park on Greensboro Drive. Black jumped into the driver's seat of his vehicle, parked next to the trailer.

    When Black tried to leave the passenger side of the vehicle, the officer tazed him. Black continued to flee the scene as he was met by two other officers and a civilian who tried to restrain him. During the struggle, Black continued to resist, biting two of the officers and the civilian, who was providing help.

    Black also struck one of the officers in the face. Black's parents were standing at the doorway of the trailer and were heard telling Black to stop struggling and to follow officer's orders. After several minutes of trying to calm him down, Black was eventually placed in handcuffs and ankle restraints without the use of any open or closed hand strikes, or police equipment such as tazers, batons, pepper spray or flashlights.

    Moments later, while officers were monitoring his breathing, they recognized Black showing signs of medical distress. Officers immediately called for an ambulance and gave Black medical assistance on scene by administering Narcan and performing C.P.R. E.M.S. providers arrived and transported Black to Easton Memorial Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

    Black's body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy. The autopsy did not reveal a cause of death and no significant injuries were noted by the pathologist. At this time, the cause and manner of death is listed as pending. Toxicology results are also pending, along with the results of additional testing of vital organs.

    The investigation is being conducted by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit. State Police investigators are continuing to review body camera footage and conducting interviews with witnesses. State Police crime scene technicians responded to process the scene.

    Troopers from the Easton Barrack and the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit responded to the scene. The Caroline County State's Attorney also responded, along with officers from the Greensboro Police Department, Ridgely Police Department and deputies from the Caroline County Sheriff's Office.

    Upon completion, the investigation by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit will be forwarded to the Caroline County State's Attorney's Office for review. The investigation is active and ongoing.

    The family of Black reached out to Fox45 and said that they disagree with the police report.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...