Sex abuse charges dropped against accused school worker
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -- Sexual abuse charges have been dropped against a Maryland school worker accused of sexually abusing a 13-year-old student who lived with him.
The Capital reported Wednesday that the charges were dropped last week against 38-year-old Mark Thoms due to lack of evidence. Thoms still is charged with second-degree assault.
Anne Arundel County Public Schools spokesman Bob Mosier says Thoms will move Thursday to a new position that won't have student contact. Charging documents say Thoms offered to let a troubled student live with him and the boy told his father months later that Thoms was abusing him.
Thoms worked as a Mary Moss at J. Albert Adams Academy behavioral assistant until officials learned of the allegations in April. The newspaper says Thoms' attorney didn't respond to a request for comment.